Guide to Self Compassion
- Spend at least fifteen to thirty minutes daily in meditation, prayer, or quiet time just being.
- At least twenty minutes a day of exercise- yoga, walking, or any type of exercise within your abilities.
- Laughter. Every day, try to find humor in something, even if it seems insignificant. Smile. Smile at others, smile at yourself. Just smile.
- Surround yourself with caring others- family, friends, work colleagues. Seek the company of others who are compassionate & kind.
- Get 20 minutes of sunshine every day.
- Observe and truly experience nature. Notice the sky when walking to your car. Listen to the sounds of birds. Pay attention to the trees, smell blossoming flowers, hear the buzzing bees, and watch ants as they work.
- Experience gratitude daily for even the simple things in life that we usually take for granted: good health, family, running water, your home, & food.
- Think positive thoughts whenever you can. Notice any negative self-talk & see if you can counter with positive thoughts.
- Show compassion, actively, toward others. Look for, even small, opportunities to help. Open doors, offer to aid someone carrying groceries, really listen to someone else’s story. Actively, every day, seek to show kindness. And volunteer at least one day per month.
- Support your brain: Eat a healthy diet & eliminate junk & fast foods. Take a good, food based multi-vitamin/mineral & include omega-3 oils such as cold pressed linseed oil, & also include borage & flax.
- Express love, gratitude, and affection.12. Find creative expression: garden, yoga, art, music, sculpture, poetry, writing… any way to transform emotions into creativity!
- Give yourself permission to experience self-compassion & self- love. Practice forgiveness – especially to yourself, & be your own best friend & supporter.